St. Mary’s Mission Hospital Mumias is a Catholic Mission Hospital with a history spanning 88 years. It is located 1.5km from Mumias town in Mumias West Sub-county, Kakamega County in the Western part of Kenya. It has good road linkages to Kakamega, Bungoma, Busia, Siaya and Vihiga Counties making it accessible to the entire Western region and extending into the Eastern parts of Uganda.
The hospital was established in 1932 by the Ursuline Sisters of Bergen who came to Mumias as missionaries. In the 1940's it expanded to small semi-permanent buildings. The first permanent building was constructed in 1960 and today is used as the administration Block. In 1971, the first Medical Doctor to the facility was appointed. The last group of the Ursuline Sisters left for the Netherlands in 1983, handing over the hospital to the Catholic Diocese of Kakamega.
St. Mary’s Mission Hospital Mumias is a Faith Based Organization (FBO) managed by a Governing Board whose members are appointed by the Diocesan Bishop.
The hospital serves as a referral hospital primarily for Kakamega,Bungoma, Busia,Vihiga & Siaya counties and attends to approximately 300 patients daily.
The Hospital Governing Board is answerable to the Diocesan Medical Board chaired by the Diocesan Bishop. The Hospital Management Team is responsible for the day-to-day running of the hospital and receives guidance on policy issues and supervision from the Governing Board.
Apart from providing compassionate, affordable health care to the community, it offers specialty referral services and training for medical, nursing students and interns. The hospital also has other projects such as a youth project called Catholics, Anglicans, Legio Maria, Muslims, Pentecostal and Others (CALEMPO project), AIDS Relief Project for free HIV/AIDS care (KARP) and St. Mary’s School of Clinical Medicine and Surgery.
Principally, the hospital seeks to exemplify Christ in the healing ministry.
The hospital’s motto, “We Treat with Care, God Heals”, is the philosophical guiding belief and the hope enshrined in its offerings and daily practices.